Tuesday, June 23, 2009

SKETCHBOOK 1999











I FIGURED, FOR MY FIRST POST, THAT I WOULD START WITH AN OLD SKETCHBOOK OF MINE.
I WAS LIVING IN MINNEAPOLIS AT THE TIME AND GOING TO ART SCHOOL. THE HOUSE I LIVED IN WAS A 4-PLEX OF 1 BEDROOM APARTMENTS. EACH APARTMENT WAS OCCUPIED BY 2 OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS AT THE TIME. THAT 4-PLEX WAS FILLED WITH YEARS OF BAD DECISIONS. NOT ONE OF US LIVING THERE MADE A GOOD, HEALTHY CHOICE ABOUT ANYTHING...I'M SURE THERE WAS THE OCCASIONAL GOOD CHOICE BUT THEY WERE RARE. THE SMART PEOPLE ALL MOVED OUT. WE MADE ART. WE THOUGHT WE WERE BRILLIANT.














I'LL POST MORE SKETCHBOOK 1999 LATER

1 Comments:

Blogger Uland said...

I think about that period from time to time. It's probably hard to separate the good from the bad , but I think there actually was a lot of good stuff that went down there , art-wise, at least in the context of young people trying to do art.
And really, I think lots of people at that age are delusional, it's just that everybody in that house went for it in an extreme way. It was like an echo chamber designed to make everyone feel awesome. The drugs just amplified it, I think.
Most of the people came out of it intact, which is awesome.Lots of people don't come out of that delusional world, I think. It's hard cause I still associate the MPLS art/music scene with the awfulness of that delusion.I think some of it is there, but some of it I'm just projecting..

June 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home